Search This Blog

Monday, February 15, 2010

N.Y Post Serby's Sunday Q&A With Henrik Lundqvist (2006)

ShareThis



Q: How would winning a Stanley Cup compare to the gold medal?

A: Much more emotional to win a Stanley Cup because you work with all the guys the whole year and it's a lot of games and probably more intense. The Olympics
were two weeks. At the same time, it means so much for a lot of people and the whole country. You want both. It's hard to choose.

Q: How crazy was it after you won the gold medal?

A: At first you're so fired up, just screaming, everybody's so happy. After that, you get so calm. The whole night you're just relaxing and enjoying the
moment.

Q: What was it like when you brought it home to Stockholm?

A: You saw all the papers, what they'd written about you, because you didn't get that feeling during the Olympics. You were in the village, you played and
played and didn't realize how big it was. We drove in and people just stopped on the street and started cheering for us when we were on the bus. There were
30,000 or 40,000 people waiting for us.

Q: Where is the gold medal?

A: In a glass box.

Q: Describe what you're like on game day.

A: Very serious. I'm focused the whole day.

Q: Do you play better angry?
A: Yeah.

Q: Even during the game you're angry?

A: Yeah. My game is built on being very aggressive. When I'm a little bit angry I play better.

Q: So during a game, when you're in goal, do you actually hate the other team?

A: (Laughs). Sometimes I try to just mentally prepare for the game, I just try to hate them, yeah. Not really hate them, but I try to ... I don't like them
during the game. I try to build up an opponent that's not gonna beat us, I'm gonna beat them. So I want to be a bit ... angry (chuckles).

Q: How do you cope with the pressure as a goalie?

A: Sometimes you think, "Oh, I have to win this game." The only thing you can do is try to help the team. You can't score, so focus on your game and see it
as a big challenge.

Q: Mike Richter?
A: I didn't see him play much, but the things I remember are his quick feet. He was so fast from side to side.

Q: Martin Brodeur?
A: Great timing at everything. He's playing old school too, doesn't play like a butterfly goalie like almost the rest of the league. He plays more standup,
small pads, and he's very quick.

Q: What's so great about New York City?

A: Whatever you want to do, it's there. You've got shows, you've got concerts, you've got great shopping, restaurants. And then also to play in New York as an athlete, it's amazing.

Q: Why?

A: The support. They're really into the sport, and they know a lot about hockey. It's fun to play here.

Q: What do you feel inside when they chant your name?

A: The fans in Sweden would scream my name. I didn't think they would do it here, especially that fast. Of course you get proud. At the same time you get
very excited to play and you want to perform even better, you want to play your best and win, because you know they will really appreciate it.

Q: One thing you wish you could change about yourself?

A: Loosen up a little bit on game day (laughs).

Q: What makes Jagr so good?

A: He's so strong with the puck. When you watch him play, the guys can't really reach the puck because he's so strong and uses his body so well to cover it.

And he makes the players around him very good.

Q: Your girlfriend (Therese) cooks for you.

A: She's probably the most caring person I know.

Q: Any thoughts of marriage?

A: Not yet. In Sweden, we're not that fast as you guys over here.

Q: What would people be surprised to learn about you?

A: I competed in skiing when I was young. I grew up in a ski village and my dad was a ski instructor. Me and my brother competed in downhill.

Q: The best place to shop in New York?

A: I like to be down in SoHo and walk around there.
Q: Three wishes?

A: Stanley Cup would be nice. Stay healthy for the rest of my life (chuckles). Endless amount of money (smiles).

Q: Favorite athlete outside hockey?

A: Tiger Woods. Just the way he's so professional in everything he does.

Q: Idols growing up?

A: My first idol was a Swedish goalie, Peter Lindmark. When I got older I started to watch more and more NHL and it was Patrick Roy and Dominic Hasek.

Q: What are your memories about the '94 Olympics?

A: Forsberg's penalty shot and Tommy Salo's save.

Q: Did you always want to be a goalie?

A: I had my twin brother back in Sweden. Someone had to be in the net when we played on the street and usually it was me.

Q: Best piece of advice from your parents?

A: Keep both feet on the ground.

Q: Favorite movie?

A: "Old School."

Q: Favorite actor?

A: Will Ferrell.

Q: Favorite actress?

A: Angelina Jolie.

Q: Favorite singer?

A: Bruce Springsteen.
Q: Favorite meal?

A: Sea bass at Tao.
Q: Favorite New York restaurant?

A: The best food ... Nobu. But I like the atmosphere at Tao. Some nights it's more easygoing. Some nights it's more like a nightclub and restaurant.
Q: What would you say to Ranger fans?

A: Enjoy the moment.




Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/serby_sunday_with_henrik_lundqvist_0DSjEwdSKM8EQkFKNbJsNK#ixzz0faI9ONKN

No comments:

Post a Comment