Search This Blog

Friday, October 19, 2012

UPDATED With Translation Henrik Lundqvist TV4 News Morning Swedish Video Interview

ShareThis

UPDATED: Here's the translation of Henrik's interview on Nyhetsmorgon (News Morning)
Henrik%20Lundqvist%20om%20NHL-lockouten%20och%20sin%20karri%C3%A4r

The show is called "Nyhetsmorgon" or "News morning".
"We're so happy that Henrik Lundqvist actually decided that he wanted to join us this morning... But, why did you oversleep to this important meeting, Henke?" (he got on the show an hour late). "it's the time difference between Göteborg-Stockholm... (there is none) I totally mistook the time". The ask him about the offer the owners gave. Henrik says "there are a lot of details in these offers that maybe you don't see from the beginning, you have to come to terms with what the numbers really mean. The big question is that we're not really on the same page on how you count revenues. A 50/50 deal maybe really aren't a 50/50 deal. "

"Have you ever overslept for a game?.""Yes, last season. It was a nightmare. It was the same like today, I just set the alarm wrong. I feel like I have things under control. They tried to reach me, but I always turn off my phone on my way to games. So I wandered in, they're in the middle of a meeting. So I asked 'why are they having the meeting already?' 'they said ´but the game starts in an hour, you're late'. So the coach asked me immediately, he was very stressed out cause he knows how many routines I have. 'Can you play?' I just told him 'Don't talk to me. Forget about this. I'll go out and do it.' " (btw, this was a game vs Philly in late november where he shut them out 2-0… he mentioned being late for the game in a swedish interview after)

The hosts ask him what his routines look like. He says he always rests on the afternoons, arrives for the game on the same time always, think about the same things every time. They ask if in case his routines are disrupted, if he plays worse. "No you don't. It's more about finding a comfort zone, a good feeling. You live under a lot of pressure, you put a lot of pressure on yourself and you get if from the outside. I think you have a lot of routines just to feel comfortable before games.

"Do you still get nervous when you get out and play games?" "I'm always nervous, it doesn't matter if it's a pre-season game, playoff game or an olympic final. I think it has to do with that I put a lot of pressure on myself, that I feel the pressure to always perform."

The host ask that during shootouts, mustn't it be really fun to be goalie and have the opportunity to be a hero? Doesn't that weigh up the risk of defeat?"Yes, that's the feeling you want. 'This is fun, now I have the chance to help the team win.' I you have that feeling oftentimes it all goes well. But if you have the felling of 'Everything is on me, if I screw up we'll lose.' Then it doesn't go that well."

"How much do you have to work with your head? If we don't think about the shampoo""Yeah exactly, I spend a huge amount of hours keeping my hair in shape. But, it's hard to work up the mental part. I have a goalie school in the summers with boys and girls, to teach the mental part is very hard, I think you have to go through it, you learn how you work as a person and what you have to do to get ready for a game.


"You were picked as the best goalie recently, so you are the best already and likely you should just be able to feel joy when you go out there and not be that nervous?""yes, but I think you have to put pressure on yourself. Sure, I won that prize, which has been a dream and goal for a long time. But I don't see myself as number 1, the top is very wide, there are many unbelievably good goalies over there. I have to work hard to stay there and try to get even better. So I won't settle down if that's what you think. You have to continue developing and push yourself."

"If one's not a goalie one would think the biggest fear is to give up really bad goals, and the physical part. What if you get a really hard slapshot on your balls for example. Is there a physical fear?""When you go out to practice and you're cold and you haven't got warm yet, the hands are a little cold.. That's when you can get a little… 'hope no one shoots a hard one' because then it will hurt. And it often does, the first ten minutes it often hurts. But then you get into it, during games it never hurts cause there's so much adrenaline."

"Don't you have a lot of protection, especially on strategic places. But it must hurt anyway, they shoot hard those pigs""Yes, it hurts anyway. I, knock on wood, have been lucky, I haven't been that seriously injured. I got a broken jaw once when I was in Russia playing with the junior national team. I got a puck on my head, the jaw got twisted one way and got cracked on the other side. I couldn't gape for a couple of weeks, but that's probably the only time I've been seriously hurt. Like you say, we have a lot of protection and oftentimes it goes well."

"Henke, have you been out there when everyone start to fight and then the goalies are supposed to fight, it's so ridiculous""There's a different culture in the US than at home in Sweden, here you don't fight as much, but over there it's part of the game. The first time it happened.. you're not used to it. I was like 'oh? what's happening now?' I know it's going to happen, maybe not that I'm going to fight but that players will. So often I just look down on the ice not to lose my game completely because I'm so unused to it. There's a whole different mentality when it comes to that, it's part of the game. The audience makes the highest noise when there are goals and when there are fights, which is a little weird. You can have different opinions when it come to fighting"

"Have you had to fight with another goalie anytime?"No, I haven't. You're not allowed to skate over the red line actually as a goalie. You're not allowed to fight either.. I have been in a couple of fights over there but nothing bigger"


"How are you affected by not playing and not practicing as much""It's been a hard autumn in that way, that you don't know what's gonna happen. What's positive is that can spend more time with my family and new baby Charlise. That has been positive. It's been a long summer, you're pretty happy with the break you got. You want to get back to it and your life and your routines. Like I said I have a lot of routines, you feel good when you're back in your everyday life."

"You have any superstitions?""When it comes to put on the gear, I do it the same way just because I've always been doing it that way, it's just that it's comfortable, not that I have to do it that way. Before games, I hit the wall, I hit the posts in a certain way. It's pretty fun to watch all the players because everyone does something. And fact is, when I think back to all the players I've played with over the years, the better the player, the more things they do. I think it comes back to handeling the pressure. Yo find your things to get comfortable."

"But it's not irrelevant that having kids makes you distance yourself from performances, do you agree with that?""Yes, but she's only three months so I'm still trying to adjust my life and adapt to this, it's very new and exciting. The last years I've started to find a balance in my life that helps my game too. It's always about finding a balance on the ice, not too much focus, not too little, and also off ice and to feel comfortable so you can perform at a top level."

No comments:

Post a Comment